Thursday 1 May 2008

Preaching


Everybody is individual and consequently has different beliefs. Many people are religious; however I have not worked out my personal religious standpoint yet. I believe in something but nothing along the lines of organised religion. To me the Bible is a book created by men for their needs. Religion has been used throughout centuries to restrict and control. Religion such as Christianity has come a long way, most believers now pick and choose the parts which they think they should follow. For me, organised religion is a crutch for the reality. Many people turn to God in their hour of need and claim that he helped them through it. I cant say I have ever had an experience like this and this is perhaps why I have a problem believing in the idealised view of God. At rock bottom, the only person that can help you is yourself. Having a fantastic support system of family and friends, life is made that much easier to get up and face the world again.
I recognise that this is only my viewpoint, many others think very differently. This is completely acceptable to me but it bothers me when those firm believers tell me I am going to hell because I don’t believe. I don’t interfere in your views or beliefs so why do some religious people believe it is OK for them to judge me?
Preaching to me is unnecessary. I understand that they want an outlet to get people to listen but walking through the streets of Birmingham I don’t want to hear a man on a stand shouting about the views of the Bible. If someone from a cult such as the Peoples Temple got up there and started preaching a religious utopia, there would be uproar! So why is it OK for a Christian to do it? Because British history has told us it’s a superior view? What makes the Peoples Temple a cult and Christianity a religion?


For more information on the Peoples Temple go to: http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/

No comments: